Mongabay Job Opportunity – Video Manager
Mongabay’s Video Manager will lead our efforts to build out our conservation video program, including producing our own video content and serving as a liaison to production partners.
This individual’s duties will include:
– working with staff editors to determine what pieces get turned into video;
– managing video submissions from field correspondents and editing these into videos for social media;
– leading the development of any “live” content that might be streamed from staff or correspondents;
– developing and maintaining our YouTube channel as well as posting to our other social media channels;
– working with editors to post video content in Mongabay news articles;
– analyzing collected viewership data across various platforms; and
– serving as a liaison to video production partners who may develop some short-form pieces into longer, higher-production value videos and films
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are adept at working independently, and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. Some skills that are required in this position are:
– Video production and editing experience, especially with short-form content
– Advanced understanding of post production, workflow and production management
– Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required
– On screen experience not required
– Understanding of the video, documentary, and film sectors, including distribution
– Social media expertise, including social marketing
– Ability to make timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
– English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking)
– Providing other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
– Extremely self-directed and motivated
– Strong sense of professionalism and reliability
– Ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
– Contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
– Prior experience – one to four years of video production and editing experience
– Technical experience – Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Adobe premiere, Adobe After Effects, FCPX, Avid Media Composer, YouTube, Social Media
– Location – Mongabay does not have a physical office, but due to the need to serve as a liaison to video partners, we have a very strong preference for candidates based in the New York City and Greater Los Angeles areas.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. On the application you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
– Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your video editing and production experience, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
– Resume – (1-2 pages)
– Work samples – links to videos you’ve produced that best showcase your journalistic abilities.
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news web site. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Our advisory board includes Tim Kelly, the former President of National Geographic, and Jane Goodall.
Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.