Mongabay.org offers an internship program, which primarily involves writing environmental news stories for our affiliated news site – Mongabay.com. Our interns will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on our renowned website which boasts over two million global readers every month.
We are no longer accepting applications for the first internship term. We will open applications for the second internship term at a later date, please check back.
January – June 2017 – Application Closed
Deadline: December 16, 2016 11:59pm CT
July – December 2017 – CLOSED
What will you do?
Our Environmental Journalism Interns will be writing roughly six+ news stories on a variety of environmental topics over a course of a six-month commitment. Topics will be assigned to our interns by one of our Editors. Mongabay interns will also receive writing guidelines and feedback on their news stories before publication.
Position Hours and Schedule:
Our Interns are unpaid working virtually (at home or wherever the intern feels most productive) with set deadlines to be met. We are flexible on how many hours per week the intern is able to work but a minimum of 10 hours per week is required for the full six months.
Who are we looking for?
Our application process is competitive and we will select four to six interns for each term of the year. Below is a list of traits we look for when selecting individuals for our internship program:
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coach-able and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Become part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support: meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Develop writing skills
- Resume workshops
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
- Advancement: opportunity to be promoted within Mongabay
Applicants will be notified two weeks after the application deadline. We ask that you do not email asking about the status of your application in the meantime. If selected, you will start in the first month of the term.
Required Application Materials:
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article
- Or you can choose one from the following two articles to complete a writing sample
- 600-words (max)
- Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own
For more information, please contact Maichue Khang at maichue (at) mongabay.org
For a list of our former interns and contributors, visit our internship bio page.