Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership on its Global, Latin American, Indonesian, and Indian news sites averages roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
The Content Coordinator will be a pivotal contributor to Mongabay’s global newsroom, reporting to the Global Program Director and supporting Mongabay staff of editors and writers by monitoring production timelines and assisting with article layout, photo selection, copy editing, scheduling, and promotion of news content in social media.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research and source rights-cleared images, and write captions in a clear and engaging style that appeals to general interest audiences;
- Copy edit and fact check articles pre-publication;
- Format and publish stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress);
- Maintain editorial calendars to assist in the scheduling of publication;
- Conceive of and create social media content in line with editorial priorities;
- Route incoming messages on public channels to appropriate staff and respond to inquiries;
- Analyze performance metrics on Mongabay’s website and social media channels;
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least two years of experience in journalism or a relevant bachelor’s degree;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Expertise in managing Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts;
- Basic image editing and processing skills;
- A keen eye for selecting photos that engage readers;
- Knowledge of environmental and conservation issues;
- Experience using a content management system (such as WordPress), is preferred;
- Willing to learn editing skills and assist editorial staff;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required;
- Must be willing to commit to full-time role (40 hours per week)
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s reporting efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic content by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, a qualified candidate:
- Demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- Functions independently and produces high-quality work with tight deadlines;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism, reliability, and communication;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is preferred. Candidates located within a few hours of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or who are willing to work similar hours are strongly encouraged to apply. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Thank you for your interest in employment with Mongabay. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages, which should include links to a portfolio of your work)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
* The above statements are intended to provide a general framework for what this position requires. There may be other functions and qualifications that emerge in time, and the chosen candidate may be asked to perform other duties that are not listed here.