Nature and Culture International (NCI)
Latin American Conservation Program Director
NCI seeks an experienced Program Director who will help develop the programs and funding to conserve some of the most mega-diverse and threatened sites in Latin America. NCI’s vision is to conserve key ecosystems and protected areas internationally while developing local capacity and respecting local cultures and peoples. NCI currently has eleven local offices in Ecuador, Mexico and Peru, and is seeking to expand their bottom-up program design throughout these countries and the Andes.
The organization is searching for an experienced conservationist with eight or more years experience both on the ground and in the US/donor countries to achieve tropical conservation programs in Latin America. The successful candidate must be passionate about the conservation of nature, and committed to Nature and Culture International’s vision of achieving concrete conservation results through supporting a bottom-up capacity that is based in the program countries and involving local peoples. The position would be based in the San Diego office of eight professionals supporting our ten country offices.
Leadership Team Responsibilities:
- Work to strengthen and develop NCI’s existing programs by developing the capacities of the in-country offices, and collaboratively identify opportunities for expansion, partnerships and funding support;
- Help to expand the conservation programs to new regions and program areas, integrating an understanding of the conservation need and NCI’s capabilities;
- Help to conceptualize and implement a funding strategy to support existing programs, and serve as lead for a number of major institutional donors;
- Maintain the interest of the board and major donors in our field programs and results;
- Report to the President and work closely with staff and Board members.
- Extensive experience (at least eight years, ideally more) working to achieve tropical conservation and habitat conservation programs in Latin America, working with local communities and/or governments, including both:
- At least 3 years’ experience working in-country; and
- At least 5 years non-profit experience in the north (US or Europe) working with staff, donors, partners and the public.
- Extensive experience working with US and international donors related to tropical conservation programs, including entrepreneurial work to identify and attract donor support;
- Experience at the director or CEO level with issues like budgeting, human resources, working with board members and donors, and program development;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good writing ability for proposals and reports, as well as tact, collegiality and organizational skills, and the highest ethical standards;
- English and Spanish language fluency.
Office Location: Del Mar, California (20 miles north of San Diego); collegial office of 8 people.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Health benefits included. NCI will cover relocation costs where applicable.
Application Deadline: Sunday, November 2nd, 2014
To Apply: All application materials need to be submitted in English. Please submit the application survey including the following:
- Letter of Intent (1-2 pages) – please explicitly address:
- How many years experience you have with both in-country conservation efforts in Latin America and with NGO work in the US/Europe;
- Describe a major program success, detailing the goals, results, and what you specifically did to achieve them;
- Describe your ability to identify and attract donor support, including specific measurable results where applicable.
- Resume or CV
Questions: Please email Tiffany Roufs (tiffany [at] mongabay [dot] org) with any questions regarding this application process.