Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership on its Global, Latin American, Indonesian, and Indian news sites average roughly six million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
Mongabay is seeking an organized and analytical Marketing Associate to expand our capacity to tell the story of the organization, communicate the impacts of our work, and expand the reach of our environmental news reporting. This new position is focused on developing marketing resources, programs, and strategies to showcase our work and content, delivered through various communication methods.
WHAT DOES THE MARKETING ASSOCIATE DO?
The Marketing Associate will be responsible for organizing, developing, and executing creative public relations, social media and digital marketing to promote its nonprofit programs and raise awareness on Mongabay’s environmental news reporting with measurable outcomes. This position will also support the development team to engage with existing and prospective donors and open fundraising opportunities.
The Marketing Associate will lead and support initiatives related to organizational communication by conceptualizing, creating and delivering marketing plans and content as well as the day-to-day management of content creation, publishing and associated communication activities for various internal and external channels.
A qualified candidate for this position should have experience in social media, marketing, and digital communications with strong analytics skills and the ability to discern what programs and/or projects resonate with our audiences. Candidates should be able to create marketing materials, such as case studies, surveys, email campaigns and newsletters, as well as produce spreadsheets and analyze quantitative data to interpret ROI and KPI metrics.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Marketing & Communications (90% of time)
- Develop, implement, and carry out an integrated marketing, communications, and PR plan to advance Mongabay’s mission and brand; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase visibility the organization among high-level stakeholders’ audiences.
- Work cooperatively with Mongabay staff to produce effective marketing content for a variety of audiences, consistently of high quality, including but not limited to press releases about reports and organizational successes, copy/visuals for social media posts, and case studies showcasing the impact of our journalism.
- Work with the development team to market and implement annual fundraising efforts to support revenue and growth goals.
- Coordinate with Mongabay staff to development and implement strategic marketing of special coverage, such as large investigations.
- Develop marketing and engagement strategies and content in collaboration with our social media team for Mongabay’s social channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat and TikTok.
- Coordinate internal and external marketing communications for the purpose of managing key partnerships, special coverage, event logistics, and driving social media engagement.
- Conduct outreach to other media outlets with Mongabay’s successes.
- Apply for awards and prizes.
- Identify conferences and events that Mongabay should participate in and provide logistical support as needed.
- Assist with the production and marketing of major print pieces (Annual Report, newsletters, event invitations, etc.).
- Write, edit and post marketing materials such as case studies via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress).
- Define, collect, and analyze metrics to determine marketing and communications program effectiveness and assess performance of marketing initiatives.
- Provide other support as needed to ensure marketing content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
Strategic Planning & Administration (10% of time)
- Report regularly to Mongabay’s program team on progress toward meeting marketing objectives.
- Develop and maintain marketing material inventory, social media profiles and quality content, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Source and/or produce visual content including photos, infographics, videos, charts, and maps.
- Research, fact-check, and review marketing materials prior to publication.
- Propose and manage marketing budgets.
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay.com headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone, and text.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing and communications or related field; OR may substitute four or more years of professional experience in this field.
- 2-4 years of marketing and communications professional experience.
- Strong understanding of marketing and advertising principles skills is a must.
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English is required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues is a strong positive.
- Professional marketing experience working in a journalism capacity preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and communicate with various target audiences; a strong audience service orientation.
- Ability to work with a variety of content including formatting of feature marketing articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook), project management software and customer relationship management software;
- Experience with email marketing platforms (MailChimp is ideal);
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required with strong computer skills;
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular U.S. business hours.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Effectively develops, contributes, and empowers for a successful team.
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable.
- Demonstrates talent in writing and editing.
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines.
- Is successful at managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards.
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment.
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking.
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication.
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback.
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results.
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
We are no longer accepting applications. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employment Handbook.