Mongabay.org, in collaboration with Global Forest Watch – an initiative led by the World Resources Institute – is launching the Global Forest Reporting Network to improve management and conservation of forests around the world through the power of data and information. The program will establish a network of on and off-site reporters that will cover forest-related topics in areas particularly threatened by human impacts. By doing so, we seek to increase global transparency of forest and land-use issues, build capacity among local journalists, bolster the market for environmental journalism, and encourage the integration of high-quality data into environmental reporting. The Global Forest Reporting Network will initially focus on the following regions:
- Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, PNG)
- Greater Mekong Region (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam)
- South Asia (India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh)
- West Africa (Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Sierra Leone)
- Congo Basin (DRC, ROC, Gabon, CAR, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea)
- East Africa (Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda)
- South America (Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela, Paraguay, Argentina, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana)
- Central America (Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama)
- Boreal Regions (Canada, Russia, Nordic countries)
Mongabay.org is currently soliciting applications from experienced journalists who are interested in participating. Payment will be on a per-word basis, and pieces will generally be short to moderate in length (500-1000 words). Pieces must incorporate data from Global Forest Watch, which includes manipulation of GIS-based data and maps into accompanying images. This is a part-time, ongoing position most suitable for environmental writers looking for long-term, supplemental, rewarding work. Preference is given to applicants able to work on-site in a region mentioned above, and written fluency in English is required.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE GFRN HAS CLOSED. Please check back for future opportunities.