Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s large global readership and impactful reporting positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
In Latin America, Mongabay’s Spanish-language bureau, Mongabay Latam, has grown to become a regional leader in cross-border environmental journalism. Complementing these achievements, Mongabay’s long-term coverage of the Amazon basin, led by a small team of Brazilian journalists, has garnered numerous awards and accolades. Mongabay is building upon this progress to develop a multilingual reporting team in Latin America dedicated to gathering news about forest and biodiversity conservation, the actions of natural resource industries, relevant environmental policy developments, and the implications of environmental changes for communities across the region.
WHAT DOES THE CONTENT COORDINATOR DO?
The Latin America Content Coordinator will be a pivotal contributor to Mongabay’s global newsroom, reporting to the Latin America Program Manager and supporting Mongabay’s multilingual staff of editors and writers. This position will coordinate publication by monitoring production timelines and assisting with article layout, photo selection, basic copy editing, scheduling, and promotion of news content on social media. Knowledge and familiarity with environmental issues and/or forest conservation are strong positives. Coordinating reporting across languages is particularly relevant to Mongabay’s coverage of the Amazon rainforest, which includes nine countries, and is a point of emphasis for this role.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WRITING, REPORTING, EDITING, PUBLISHING
- Support and work cooperatively with Mongabay staff of editors and writers in Latin America to organize production and publication of articles, consistently of high quality;
- Research and source rights-cleared images, and write captions in a clear and engaging style that appeals to general interest audiences;
- Format and publish stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress);
- Maintain editorial calendars to assist in the scheduling of publications;
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Conceive of and create social media content in line with editorial priorities;
- Route incoming messages on public channels to appropriate staff and respond to inquiries;
- Analyze performance metrics on Mongabay’s website and social media channels;
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports; and
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least two years of professional experience in journalism and/or publishing or a relevant bachelor’s degree is required;
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in Spanish and English is required, working proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese is preferred;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of AP style guidelines with experience copy editing and fact-checking news articles is ideal;
- Expertise in managing Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts;
- Basic image editing and processing skills;
- A keen eye for selecting photos that engage readers;
- Knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues is essential;
- Experience using a content management system (such as WordPress), is preferred;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook) and project management software;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of content including formatting of articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML;
- Willing to learn editing skills and assist editorial staff;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required; and
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours;
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone, and text.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts in Latin America, with a focus on coordinating coverage in the Amazon rainforest. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists, collaborators, and audience members;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.