CONTENT COORDINATOR: MONGABAY-INDIA
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news website. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.
Mongabay-India is a conservation and environment news and features service that aims to bring high quality, original reports from nature’s frontline in India. As the India-specific portal of the global news platform mongabay.com, this website follows the format of Mongabay’s dedicated Indonesia and Latin America news outlets.
WHAT DOES THE CONTENT COORDINATOR DO?
Mongabay-India is looking for a content coordinator to support the development of our social media channels to synchronize with overall website content. The core function of this position is to grow Mongabay’s audience in India through the organic and paid amplification of news content in social media, including the on-going analysis of social media metrics and their impact on website traffic to iteratively optimize our content marketing outcomes. The role will support news production process through the copy-editing, proofreading and trafficking news content from Mongabay-India’s CMS to a diversity of social channels.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Set-up, promote, and optimize Mongabay-India’s social channels (Facebook, Twitter to start with, soon to expand to YouTube, LinkedIn, and Instagram).
- Maintain an editorial calendar to schedule and synchronize posts on social media with Mongabay India’s news content
- Analyse performance metrics of different social media channels to optimize content marketing strategies
- Respond and engage with our audience on social media
- Copy-edit stories after it is top-edited by a staff editor, identify and upload appropriate pictures on WordPress
- Localize Mongabay.com style guide for India and edit copy accordingly
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English
- Social media expertise: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Experience with content marketing including advertising on Facebook and Twitter
- An analytical mind, to be able to parse and understand data from social media campaigns
- Basic image editing and processing; GIMP or Photoshop experience preferred
- Adequate knowledge of website editing and SEO, WordPress experience preferred
- Ability to make timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment
- A newsroom mindset, extremely self-directed and motivated with an ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
- Contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Two to four years of social media management and content marketing experience is required
- Prior experience working as a copy/sub editor with a print or online publication preferred
- Mongabay-India does not have a physical office, but the candidate should be based in India, and have good internet connection
Apply online here. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.