FINANCIAL CONTROLLER – MONGABAY OPPORTUNITY
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news web site. The site today draws more than 2.5 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Beyond its award-winning English content, Mongabay also produces daily news in Indonesian and Spanish. Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.
WHAT DOES THE FINANCIAL CONTROLLER DO?
The Financial Controller, working with the Director of Operation and Operations Team, oversees the smooth operation of Mongabay’s daily and annual financial processes. Mongabay has complex program offerings and diverse funding sources, including federal, international, individual, and foundation funding. There is a heavy emphasis on reporting, requiring this role to focus narrowly on the finance function.
This individual’s key responsibilities will include:
- Monthly reconciliations & expense allocations
- Monthly financial statements for ED & Board
- Financial schedules maintenance
- Approving and processing staff & contributor reimbursements
- Annual financial statement preparation
- Annual budget preparation and updates
- Annual audit & 990 process management
- Donor information management
- Complicated restricted funds management
- Annual report production
- Help develop creative virtual, global system of internal controls
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Mongabay’s mission
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in effectively communicating key data
- A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the Director of Operations, the responsibility for finance
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels
- Restricted grant management experience
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing software vendors
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
WHO IS THE FINANCIAL CONTROLLER?
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our unique culture and global, at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are amazing at working independently, and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. The Financial Controller specifically, in addition to solid nonprofit financial management experience, is someone who can truly embrace new ideas and technology in order to creatively manage the financial processes of a large, virtual, global organization.
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. You are encouraged to submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – Please speak to your ability to embrace new ideas and technology in order to creatively manage the financial processes of a large, virtual, global organization
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.