UPDATE: Mongabay is no longer accepting applications for this position.
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
Mongabay is excited to be expanding its development team and is seeking a Foundation Relations Assistant.
WHAT DOES THE FOUNDATION RELATIONS ASSISTANT DO?
The Foundation Relations Assistant is responsible for overseeing the cultivation, solicitations and management of the organization’s institutional philanthropic partners. Recognizing a need to deepen the organization’s institutional foundation partnerships, this position is responsible for engaging with new prospective funders in addition to established foundation partners.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reports directly to the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives but works broadly across the organization and supports the office of the CEO and programs team.
- Collects and analyzes grant data, gathers supporting information for proposals and LOIs, and drafts first drafts of materials for development team members for current and potential funders.
- Supports all aspects of institutional foundation fundraising, including strategy development and cultivation, to achieve revenue goals across Mongabay.
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with Mongabay’s program and development team members and is seen as a valuable member of the teams.
- Manages large, complex proposals and ensures effective stewardship of grants and concept notes.
- Helps the development team manage higher-level donor relationships.
- Works closely with Prospect Research Analyst to identify and qualify leads.
- Manages Mongabay materials in an online repository that assists other team members in their own communication with donors about Mongabay’s work.
- Performs other duties as assigned with enthusiasm.
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay.com headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone and messaging platforms.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
- At least 3 years of related professional experience is required.
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English and excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills is required.
- Strong track record of delivering high quality products (e.g., written reports, proposals, analyses) in a time-sensitive manner while juggling other projects is required.
- Preference for working in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment is essential.
- Successful record of fundraising accomplishments with major foundations, high net worth individuals.
- Experience working in a virtual organization including knowledge of conservation/environmental issues is a plus.
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible, and responsive.
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required.
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role and available during regular business hours.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s foundation and development efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Demonstrates talent in writing and editing;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and philanthropic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with donors and funders and;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
The work of our organization changes as we continuously seek to have greater impact. All of our team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short and long-term shifts in their job duties. As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
TO APPLY – UPDATE: Mongabay is no longer accepting applications for this position.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.