Since its founding in 1999, Mongabay.com has become one of the top sources for tropical forest news, analysis, and information on the Internet. The site today draws more than three million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the internet. Mongabay was incorporated as a non-profit in 2012 to support the creation of its global news program and advance its mission to provide a platform for new scientific information about environmental conservation to gain awareness through summarizing and disseminating the results of research related to critical ecosystems, their wildlife, and the important role nature plays in maintaining vital services including stabilizing the global climate system.
Mongabay is seeking an organized, analytical, and insightful Program Associate to support the continued growth in size and capacity of the organization. This role will provide administrative, technical, and development support to Mongabay’s journalism programs under the supervision of the Global Program Director.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
PROGRAM SUPPORT (85% of time)
- Work collaboratively with Mongabay’s leadership team on proposal development;
- Prepare proposals, reports and budgets by writing, editing, proofing and assembling relevant documents;
- Maintain schedules for project development, reports, and follow-up communications with funders;
- Assist the Global Program Director with project oversight, including tracking progress on program goals and spending;
- Monitor and assess data on the results of stories including analytics, qualitative impacts, and examples of republication for use in reports and program updates;
- Compile and distribute monthly updates on editorial programs;
- Research and communicate with other organizations domestically and abroad on issues involving conservation, environmental science, and media issues;
- Provide editorial and operations staff with support such as research, correspondence, and payments;
- Assist with set-up for new projects, including staff recruitment as needed;
- Represent Mongabay to other media outlets, NGOs, donors, and government officials;
- Support processing of invoices and expense reports.
DONOR COMMUNICATION (15% of time)
- Track and schedule follow-up communications with funders as needed;
- Own donor contact management, using Salesforce or an equivalent CRM;
- Develop template language for automated email communication.
Due to our company culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay excel at working independently and producing consistent high-quality journalistic content by taking the initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, a Program Associate:
- Demonstrates superior analytical, organizational and writing ability;
- Functions well independently and produces high-quality work with tight deadlines;
- Takes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Multi-tasks and prioritizes tasks with a diverse workload;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with colleagues, donors, and relevant organizations;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Demonstrates personal integrity, a strong sense of professionalism, and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- 1-3 years of experience working on grant-supported projects, ideally with a non-profit news outlet.
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English.
- Experience preparing project reports and proposals.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize, analyze, and interpret data to support decision making.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues is preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook), Asana (or similar project management system), MailChimp (or similar email marketing system), and Salesforce (or similar customer relationship management system).
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week).
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience.
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. You are free to submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.