Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news web site. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR DO?
The Program Director will work closely with the Mongabay’s CEO, Operations Manager, and Development Director to manage Mongabay’s rapidly growing team and execute on the organization’s mission to inspire, educate, and inform the public on conservation and environmental issues.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
EDITORIAL TEAM MANAGEMENT (70% of time)
- Conducting day-to-day personnel management of the program teams, including doing regular touch-base calls with employees, facilitating staff meetings to coordinate efforts and maintain cohesiveness, and responding to questions and requests from the team
- Motivating staff and evaluating employee performance
- Overseeing core programs, ensuring key objectives are met, including content production goals
- Reading and signing contracts related to programs
FINANCIAL & GRANT MANAGEMENT (20% of time)
- Managing financial approvals and reporting to comply with audit and grant requirements
- Working with operations and administration staff to ensure grant reports are filed on time, address grant objectives, and demonstrate the wider impacts of our reporting and the continued need for funding of these important topics
- Coordinating analysis of impact data for use in grant reports, the annual report, and presentation to donors and the board
DEVELOPMENT & STRATEGIC PLANNING (10% of time)
- Participating in formulating and administering company policies, directing and coordinating activities to develop and implement long-range goals and objectives to the organization’s growth objectives
- Working with Mongabay’s CEO, Development Director, and Content Strategist to identify and secure new or renewed funding or marketing opportunities
- Support CEO in developing Board updates and documentation for board meetings
- Providing other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are amazing at working independently, and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems.
- Sound judgment and decision making ability
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership and project management skills
- Effective organizational skills and systems
- Extremely self-directed and motivated
- Professionalism and reliability
- Ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
- Contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results
- Problem solving/analysis
- Strategic thinking
- Supervisory responsibility
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Prior experience – two to five years of management experience strongly preferred, minimum three years of supervisory role, ideally in a non-profit setting
- English as a first language or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking
- Technical experience – Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive
- Location – This position can be based anywhere in the United States
Apply online here. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.