STAFF WRITER: MONGABAY-INDIA
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news website. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.
Mongabay-India is a conservation and environment news and features service that aims to bring high quality, original reports from nature’s frontline in India. As the India-specific portal of the global news platform mongabay.com, this website follows the format of Mongabay’s dedicated Indonesia and Latin America news outlets.
WHAT DOES THE WRITER DO?
The full-time staff writer will have knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues to produce content for Mongabay-India, covering high-priority regions/topics. Together with the rest of the team at Mongabay-India, the staff writer will be responsible for developing and curating the content that appears on Mongabay-India’s website. The writer must have strong analytical skills and the ability to discern what stories are important and of interest to readers, especially to an Indian audience. This person must be a native English-speaker (or have exceptional fluency), based in India and excel at working remotely.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WRITING, REPORTING, EDITING, PUBLISHING (90% of time)
- Working with Mongabay-India’s Senior Contributing Editor to produce news reports and features, consistently of high quality
- Effectively search and come up with story ideas to pitch to the editor
- Writing, editing and posting stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress)
- Copy editing/proofreading as and when required
- Conducting interviews, phone calls and/or meetings to gather information for stories
- Sourcing and/or producing visual content including photos, videos, charts, and maps
- Occasional aggregation of news from third-party sources
- Cultivating sources, in the mould of a beat reporter
STRATEGIC PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION (10% of time)
- Reporting to Mongabay’s Global Program Director and the India Programme Manager on progress toward meeting objectives
- Working with the Programme Manager to demonstrate the wider impacts of our reporting and the continued need for funding of these important topics
- Collect data on impacts of Mongabay-India stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports
- Providing other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
As a newly launched news outlet, this position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts in India. Due to our company culture and global at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay excel at working independently, and produce consistent high quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems.
- Sound editorial judgment and decision making ability
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Experience with publishing systems
- Professionalism and reliability
- Ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
- Contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results
- Posses a working understanding of the scientific method and its application in environmental science
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Two or more years experience and demonstrated talent in journalism/writing is required
- An understanding of best practice of content use on the Internet (e.g. respecting copyright, responding to “take down” requests)
- Knowledge and familiarity with environmental issues and wildlife conservation in India is essential
- Ability to copy-edit environmental stories
- Professional experience within Indian media outlets is preferred
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality work with tight deadlines
- Be open to traveling toward filing original news stories
- Be comfortable reading scientific literature, such as reports and papers
- Ability to fact check stories with contacts/science publications
- Must be responsive to Mongabay-India headquarters via email and Asana
- Access to the Internet is required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter and Facebook), and Asana.
- Mongabay-India does not have a physical office, but the candidate should be based in India, and have a good internet connection.
Apply online here. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.