Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
Mongabay is excited to announce the opening of a staff writer position based in Bangladesh to report on conservation and environmental issues from the country.
WHAT DOES THE STAFF WRITER DO?
The staff writer will have knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues in Bangladesh to produce multiple stories per week. The staff writer will work closely with the Mongabay-India team, and with members of the larger Mongabay newsroom to discuss ideas and plans. The staff writer’s main reporting responsibility would be to cover the status of high conservation value areas; community-led biodiversity conservation and climate adaptation actions; river and estuary rehabilitation; air and water pollution; disaster risk reduction initiatives; and the governance of natural resource and energy industries in Bangladesh.
The staff writer must have strong analytical skills and the ability to discern what stories are important and of interest to readers, especially to a Bangladesh audience. Extensive knowledge and familiarity with Bangladesh’s environmental issues is essential. This person must be a native English-speaker (or have exceptional fluency), based in Bangladesh and excel at working remotely.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WRITING, REPORTING, EDITING, PUBLISHING (90% of time)
- Work cooperatively with the larger Mongabay team, especially the other South Asia-based staff, to produce news reports and features, consistently of high quality.
- Occasional travel for reporting assignments.
- Effectively research and generate story ideas to pitch to the editor/s.
- Conduct interviews, phone calls and/or meetings to gather information for stories.
- Cultivate sources, in the mold of a beat reporter.
- Write, edit, layout, format and post stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress).
- Research, fact-check, and review articles prior to publication.
- Sourcing and/or producing visual content including photos, videos, charts, and maps.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION (10% of time)
- Report to Mongabay’s Global Program Director, Mongabay India’s Programme Manager and Managing Editor on progress toward meeting reporting objectives.
- Collect data on Mongabay stories to demonstrate the wider impacts of published reporting for use in grant reports.
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone and text.
- Providing other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Three or more years of experience and demonstrated talent in journalism/writing preferably in the environment / conservation beat is required.
- Knowledge and familiarity with environmental issues and wildlife conservation in Bangladesh is essential.
- Professional experience within Bangladeshi media outlets is preferred.
- Exceptional fluency in written and spoken English and Bangla.
- Familiarity with best practice of content use on the Internet (e.g. respecting copyright, responding to “take down” requests).
- Must be willing to commit to full-time role and available during regular business hours.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, social media (Twitter and Facebook), and project management software (Asana).
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable.
- Demonstrates talent in writing and good editorial judgement.
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines.
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking.
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication.
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback.
- Contributes to the team effort by following, communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results.
- Possess a working understanding of the scientific method and its application in environmental science.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in Bangladesh and have good internet connection. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employment Handbook.