Since its founding in 1999, Mongabay.com has become one of the top sources for tropical forest news, analysis, and information on the Internet. Online video news provides a powerful and popular way of covering compelling stories and reach new audiences. To scale up and systematize Mongabay’s video program, we’re hiring a Video Manager to create, commission, and edit original content sourced from a global network of videographers inspired by conservation and environmental science.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
VIDEO PRODUCTION & MANAGEMENT (80% of time)
- Work with staff editors to determine what pieces get turned into video;
- Coordinate content standards and translation with video editors in Mongabay’s bureaus in India, Indonesia, and Latin America;
- Build out a network of video contributors spread across the globe;
- Manage the logistics of video assignments from video producers
- Edit footage from field correspondents and stock libraries into short (1-3 minute) videos for social media;
- Led production on longer (3-10 minute) video either through filming or making assignments;
- Manage Mongabay’s YouTube channel as well as posting to our other social media channels;
- Interpret and adapt to collected viewership data across various platforms; and
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION (20% of time)
- Report regularly to Mongabay’s Global Program Director on progress toward meeting video production objectives;
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone and text.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- One to four years of video production and editing experience, especially with short-form content is required,
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred;
- Advanced understanding of post-production, workflow and production management, including motion graphics and animation skills;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required;
- Social media expertise, including social marketing;
- English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking)
- High level of expertise with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, YouTube, and Social Media
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive and Asana (or similar).
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. Some skills that are required in this position are:
- Extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with videographers and partner media outlets; and
- Changes gear quickly from editing a short video on a tight deadline to managing a complex video assignment produced over a long period of time.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. You are free to submit a pay range when applying.
Mongabay does not have a physical office so will consider applicants based in any location.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages, which should include links to a portfolio of your work)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.