Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE VIDEO PRODUCTION COORDINATOR DO?
Online video news provides a powerful and popular way of covering compelling stories and reach new audiences. To scale up and systematize Mongabay’s video program, we’re hiring a Video Production Coordinator to support the production and publication of original content sourced from a global network of video contributors inspired by conservation and environmental science. The Video Production Coordinator will report to the Video Manager.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
40% of time spent on video ideation, production (scripting, editing) and distribution:
- work with Video Producers to research and source video footage primarily from stock footage and archival libraries but also from field producers;
- write scripts and edit footage into short (1-3 minute) videos for social media;
- support posting on Mongabay’s video channels, including drafting required metadata and producing thumbnails;
20% of time spent coordinating with contributors, Mongabay editors, and third parties:
- support the Video Manager with the logistics of video assignments;
- track delivery of visual assets to and from third parties;
- provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability;
20% of time spent organizing visual assets (videos, photos, animations etc.) in a content database and documenting footage rights:
- organize files, including video clips, visual assets, and templates, by creating and/or maintaining a content database;
- manage rights clearance between Mongabay and third parties;
20% refining the editorial processes and keeping existing projects on track. Building new strategies with visual storytelling teammates:
- support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- collect data on the impacts of stories, including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- interpret and adapt to collected viewership data across various platforms;
- work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone and messaging platforms.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- One to three years of video production experience, particularly with video editing.
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred;
- Advanced understanding of video production, workflow and production management;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required;
- Social media expertise, including social marketing;
- English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking)
- High level of expertise with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, YouTube, and Social Media
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive and Asana (or similar).
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts for a more general audience. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and producing consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking the initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Is required to demonstrate talent in writing and editing;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Considers risks carefully and takes actions to mitigate them;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets and;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages) – please include a link to a portfolio and/or reel available online to show previous video work
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.