Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news daily in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE WEB DEVELOPER DO?
Mongabay is excited to announce the opening of a web developer position based in South Asia to support our growing publication and global newsroom. This position will be responsible for building and maintaining Mongabay’s websites, databases, and digital workflows. Much of this role will be focused on WordPress development as this is the CMS used for most publishing activities. The web developer will work with Mongabay’s CEO, Global Program Director, and Operations Manager to develop, integrate and support new page templates, dynamic content sections, forms, landing pages, and web applications.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing sites created on the WordPress platform.
- Maintaining a working theme (in GitHub) and supporting associated plugins.
- Preparing UI/UX wireframes and illustrations to inform application design.
- Serving as the single-point-of-contact for ongoing site updates and revisions as well as documentation and developer resources.
- Designing and implementing new features and functionalities for Mongabay’s websites.
- Writing technical specs for features and functionality and partner with external developers to execute.
- Guiding the development of Mongabay’s website architecture and infrastructure.
- Integrating third-party APIs and services to improve the efficiency, functionality, and reliability of Mongabay’s websites, databases, and digital workflows.
- Ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS.
- Staying abreast of website technologies and best practices.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least 3 years of WordPress development experience including leading projects from concept to completion.
- Extensive experience developing and deploying web applications using the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
- Familiarity with and passionate support of online best practices around responsive design, development, user experience and SEO.
- Able to focus on a task to completion with precise attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly present complex ideas and information.
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable.
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines.
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking.
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication.
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback.
- Contributes to the team effort by following, communicating, and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in South Asia and has good reliable internet connection. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures.