VIDEO PRODUCTION COORDINATOR
Since its founding in 1999, Mongabay.com has become one of the top sources for tropical forest news, analysis, and information on the Internet. Online video news provides a powerful and popular way of covering compelling stories and reach new audiences. To scale up and systematize Mongabay’s video program, we’re hiring a Video Production Coordinator to create, commission, and edit original content sourced from a global network of videographers inspired by conservation and environmental science. The Production Coordinator will report to the Global Digital Editor.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Video ideation, production (scripting, editing), and distribution (40% of time)
- Work with Digital editors to research and source video footage primarily from stock footage and archival libraries, but also from field producers;
- Write scripts and edit footage into short (1-3 minute) videos for social media;
- Support posting on Mongabay’s video channel including drafting required metadata;
Coordinating with contributors, Mongabay editors, and third parties (20% of time)
- Track delivery of visual assets to and from third parties;
- Support the digital editor with the logistics of video assignments;
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability;
Organizing visual assets (videos, photos, animations, etc) in a content database and documenting footage rights (20% of time)
- Organize files including video clips, visual assets, and templates by creating and/or maintaining a content database;
- Manage rights clearance between Mongabay and third parties;
Refining the editorial processes and keeping existing projects on track. Building new strategies with the digital editors (20% of time)
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Interpret and adapt to collected viewership data across various platforms; and
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, Asana, Skype, phone, and text.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- One to three years of video production experience, particularly with video editing;
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred;
- Advanced understanding of video production, workflow, and production management;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required;
- Social media expertise, including social marketing;
- English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking);
- High level of expertise with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, YouTube, and Social Media;
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, and Asana (or similar).
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. Some skills that are required in this position are:
- Extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable.
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards.
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback.
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment.
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication.
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results.
- Fosters positive relationships with videographers and partner media outlets.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Changes gears quickly from editing a short video on tight deadline to managing a complex video assignment produced over a long period of time.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. You are free to submit a pay range when applying.
Mongabay does not have a physical office so will consider applicants based in any location.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages, which should include links to a portfolio of your work)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
* The above statements are intended to provide a general framework for what this position requires. There may be other functions and qualifications that emerge in time, and the chosen candidate may be asked to perform other duties that are not listed here.