Senior Copy Editor & Grant Writer
This position has been filled
The Senior Copy Editor & Grant Writer will lead Mongabay’s efforts to track and demonstrate our effectiveness to our funders and audience, as well as aid our global editorial team in the quality of our daily publishing.
- Proofreading most Mongabay articles prior to publication, providing copy edits & feedback to editors/ journalists
- Documenting trends in Mongabay coverage, noting areas of improvement or particular successes
- Working with Operations Team to understand the objectives of Mongabay’s various grant reporting projects and, in coordination with the project’s editor, track progress accordingly
- Developing comprehensive reports for established grants, with a focus for demonstrating both the wider impacts of our reporting and the continued need for funding of these important topics
- Analyzing & synthesizing collected impact data
- Coordinating with Mongabay’s Executive Director, Development Director, and Content Strategist to identify and secure new or renewed funding or marketing opportunities
This is a full-time position.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our culture and global at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are adept at working independently, and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. Some skills that are required in this position are:
- Ability to make timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking)
- Demonstrated editing ability for a variety of content, including writing/grammar, HTML, photo captions, etc.
- Providing other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
- Concrete examples of effective organizational skills and systems
- Extremely self-directed and motivated
- Strong sense of professionalism and reliability
- Ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
- Contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Prior experience: at least five years of previous journalism / editing experience (especially environmental
or conservation issues) strongly preferred
- Technical experience: Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive
- Education: Bachelors degree in relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Location: This position can be based anywhere in the world
This position has been filled
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your copy editing/journalism experience, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Work samples – links to journals/articles/grant reports you’ve produced that best showcase your journalistic abilities
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news web site. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Our advisory board includes Tim Kelly, the former President of National Geographic, and Jane Goodall.
Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.