CONTENT COORDINATOR – HINDI
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership on its Global, Latin American, Indonesian, and Indian news sites average roughly five million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
Mongabay-India (https://india.mongabay.com/), a news bureau focused on environmental issues in India, was launched in January 2018. This is the third in a series of news bureaus established by Mongabay — Mongabay-Indonesia launched in 2012 and Mongabay Latin America in 2016. Both sites rapidly became the go-to places for environmental news in their respective geographies. To date, India is off to an even faster start than other bureaus. Mongabay views the publication of Hindi language content as a key step to enhance the relevance of environmental science and conservation news for a larger number of people in India.
The Content Coordinator – Hindi will be a pivotal contributor to Mongabay’s Hindi platform, reporting to the Hindi contributing editor and coordinating with the other team members. The core function of this position is to grow Mongabay’s Hindi language audience through the organic and paid amplification of news content in social media as well as the coordination of Hindi language content production through the translation and copy editing.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set-up, promote, and optimize Mongabay’s Hindi language social channels (Facebook and Twitter to start with, soon to expand to YouTube, LinkedIn, and Instagram);
- conceive of and create social media content in line with editorial priorities;
- translate English copy into Hindi in a clear and engaging style that appeals to general interest audiences;
- increase traffic to Hindi articles and videos;
- analyse performance metrics of different social media channels to optimize content marketing strategies;
- recruit an audience of influencers who amplify our reach;
- engage with Mongabay-India’s social media audiences, including collecting examples of impact;
- write, edit, source images and publish stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress);
- provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least two years of experience in social media, preferably with a journalism background;
- exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- expertise in managing Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts;
- must be able to translate from English to Hindi and vice versa;
- basic image editing and processing; GIMP or Photoshop experience preferred;
- knowledge of environmental and conservation issues in the country;
- experience using a content management system (such as WordPress) in Hindi, is preferred;
- willing to learn editing skills and assist the Hindi editor;
- reliable access to high speed Internet is required;
- must be willing to commit to full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s Hindi language reporting efforts. Due to our culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, a qualified candidate:
- demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- functions independently and produces high-quality work with tight deadlines;
- makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from social media campaigns;
- integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets;
- adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. You are free to submit a pay range when applying.
Mongabay does not have a physical office so will consider applicants based in any location.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages, which should include links to a portfolio of your work)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.