DIGITAL CONTENT EDITOR: MONGABAY-INDIA
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is a leading conservation news website. The site today draws more than 2 million visitors per month, making it among the most visited eco-focused destinations on the Internet. Mongabay.org, the non-profit arm of Mongabay, was formed in 2012 to facilitate the development of new education and journalism initiatives and leverage its existing network, traffic, and reputation. Mongabay.org aims to raise awareness about social and environmental issues relating to forests and other ecosystems.
Mongabay-India is a conservation and environment news and features service that aims to bring high quality, original reports from nature’s frontline in India. As the India-specific portal of the global news platform mongabay.com, this website follows the format of Mongabay’s dedicated Indonesia and Latin America news outlets.
WHAT DOES THE DIGITAL CONTENT EDITOR DO?
The Digital Content Editor will spearhead Mongabay-India’s multimedia initiatives by creating, commissioning, and editing original visual content in a variety of formats. The Digitial Content Editor must be a native English-speaker (or have exceptional fluency) and be based in India and excel at working remotely.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with editorial and leadership staff to establish project deliverables, schedules, and deadlines for digital content
- Create highly engaging digital content with a social first viewpoint, including short-form video, news features, interactive graphics, and GIFs
- Manage video submissions by reviewing footage and provide guidance to contributors and editing these into content for Mongabay’s website and social media channels
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability
- Strong video editing skills and knowledge of various post-production tools and software especially with short-form content
- Balanced set of design skills photo retouching/manipulation, illustration, typography, layouts, and motion graphics
- Detailed knowledge of multimedia production workflows and digital asset management
- Film/camera handling experience a plus
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to adjust approaches according to feedback
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Sound editorial judgment – two to four years of multimedia production and editing experience, preferably in a news outlet
- Technical experience –Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, FCPX, Avid Media Composer Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar)
- Mongabay-India does not have a physical office, but the candidate should be based in India, and have good internet connection
Apply online here. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.