THIS POSITION IS CLOSED AND NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership on its Global, Latin American, Indonesian, and Indian news sites average roughly five million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
Mongabay-India (https://india.mongabay.com/), a news bureau focused on environmental issues in India, was launched in January 2018. This is the third in a series of news bureaus established by Mongabay — Mongabay-Indonesia launched in 2012 and Mongabay Latin America in 2016. Both sites rapidly became the go-to places for environmental news in their respective geographies. To date, India is off to an even faster start than other bureaus. Mongabay views the publication of Hindi language content as a key step to enhance the relevance of environmental science and conservation news for a larger number of people in India.
The full-time Hindi contributing editor will lead the production of daily news and feature stories in Hindi. The editor will grow a team of contributors and establish Mongabay’s Hindi platform by managing assignments, editing articles, and ensuring adherence to editorial standards and grant requirements. This position reports to the Mongabay India programme manager and managing editor, manages the Content Coordinator – Hindi and collaborates with other team members.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strengthen Mongabay’s credibility as a go-to source for original content and insight on conservation and environmental issues in Hindi;
- commission, edit and publish Hindi news articles and features;
- work cooperatively with Mongabay’s editors and staff writers to develop story series, arrange field reporting, and coordinate the weekly editorial calendar;
- translate content from English to Hindi;
- write original content in Hindi including gathering information and conducting interviews online and offline;
- source and/or produce visual content including photos, videos, charts, and maps;
- generate pitch requests and assess story proposals from freelance reporters;
- research, fact-check, and review content prior to publication;
- publish stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress);
- work with Mongabay-India’s programme manager and managing editor to collect impacts of reporting and analysis of analytics data for use in grant reports;
- work closely with the Content Coordinator for devising and implementing social media strategies in Hindi.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least five years of writing and editing experience in journalism;
- exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- fluent in both English and Hindi;
- demonstrates a good understanding of environmental and conservation issues in India and an ability to identify topics that are relevant to a general audience;
- maintains source relationships with policymakers, private and public experts and non-governmental organisations working on such issues;
- familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook), and project management software;
- capable of working with a variety of content, including formatting of feature articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML;
- experience with WordPress or an equivalent content management system is preferred
- reliable access to high speed Internet is required;
- must be willing to commit to full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s Hindi language reporting efforts. Due to our culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, a qualified candidate:
- demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- functions independently and produces high-quality work with tight deadlines;
- makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets;
- adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. You are free to submit a pay range when applying.
Mongabay does not have a physical office so will consider applicants based in any location.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages, which should include links to a portfolio of your work)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.