Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites averages roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
In January 2018, Mongabay India was launched to reach an Indian audience with information about the Produced by a team of journalists dedicated to evidence-driven objective journalism. Mongabay India’s primary topics of news coverage are forests, wildlife, oceans, and the conservation sector. With a goal to examine India’s development through the prism of environment and conservation, Mongabay India organizes special reporting projects to dive deep into specific themes.
WHAT DOES THE CONTENT COORDINATOR DO?
Working in collaboration with the Mongabay India editorial team, the content coordinator will be responsible for organizing, publishing, and promoting news content, especially related to clean energy that appears on Mongabay India’s English and Hindi websites. The content coordinator will be responsible for organizing content production from staff and freelance contributors. The person will also schedule publication and promotion of Mongabay India’s news content as well as reach out to other Indian media outlets to facilitate republishing of Mongabay India content in multiple languages. Knowledge and familiarity with India’s environmental issues and/or clean energy sector is preferable.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work cooperatively with the Mongabay India team, especially the Clean Energy desk, to publish news reports and features, consistently of high quality.
- Report to Mongabay India’s Programme Manager and Managing Editor on progress toward meeting reporting objectives.
- Maintain an editorial calendar to schedule and synchronize posts on social media with Mongabay India’s news content.
- Research and source rights-cleared images and write captions in a clear and engaging style that appeals to general interest audiences.
- Copy edit and fact check news and multimedia content pre-publication.
- Layout and format stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress).
- Collect and create social media content in line with editorial priorities.
- Analyse performance metrics on Mongabay’s website and social media channels.
- Engage with social media influencers.
- Engage with Mongabay India’s audiences, including collecting examples of impact for use in grant reporting.
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone and text.
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Two to four years of social media management and content marketing experience is required, copy editing experience in a news publication is preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English; knowledge of written Hindi is an advantage.
- Expertise in managing and growing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and/or Telegram accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize, analyse, and interpret analytics data to inform content and growth marketing strategies.
- Image editing and processing skills, GIMP or Photoshop experience preferred.
- Experience using WordPress, especially content layout, tagging and SEO is preferred.
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and project management software (Asana).
- Familiarity with best practice of content use on the Internet (e.g. respecting copyright, responding to “take down” requests)
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required.
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
- Must be based in India, preferably with citizenship, permanent residency, or a long-term visa.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay India’s reporting efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- fosters positive relationships with journalists, audiences, and partner media outlets;
- adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in India. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. Please submit a pay range when applying.
We are no longer accepting applications. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay also provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employment Handbook.