Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites averages roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
In January 2018, Mongabay India was launched to reach an Indian audience with information about the Produced by a team of journalists dedicated to evidence-driven objective journalism. Mongabay India’s primary topics of news coverage are forests, wildlife, oceans, and the conservation sector. With a goal to examine India’s development through the prism of environment and conservation, Mongabay India organizes special reporting projects to dive deep into specific projects such as “Just Transitions” in the mining sector and clean energy development.
WHAT DOES THE STAFF WRITER DO?
The person will be part of Mongabay India’s newly formed Clean Energy desk. Together with the rest of the team at Mongabay India, the staff writer will be responsible for developing content related to clean energy that appears on Mongabay India’s English and Hindi websites.
The full-time clean energy staff writer’s main reporting responsibility is to cover environmental issues relevant to India’s clean energy sector including development and implementation of new and emerging clean energy technologies; the ecological footprints of India’s cities including energy production, transportation, waste management, and the role of alternative energy sources in urban development; the resilience of India’s energy infrastructure (both traditional and alternative), and communities (urban and rural) to extreme weather events and climate change; relevant policies, economic conditions, and trends impacting the development of India’s clean energy sector.
This staff writer will develop and produce an average of 4 articles per week working closely with colleagues in the Mongabay India editorial team to discuss story ideas and coverage plans. The writer must have strong analytical skills and the ability to discern what stories are important and of interest to readers, especially to an Indian audience. Extensive knowledge and familiarity with India’s environmental issues and/or clean energy sector is essential.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WRITING, REPORTING, EDITING, PUBLISHING (90% of time)
- Work cooperatively with the Mongabay India team to produce news reports and features, consistently of high quality.
- Focus area for this staff writer would be clean energy and related topics.
- Produce stories in English and Hindi language.
- Effectively research and generate story ideas to pitch to the editor.
- Conduct interviews, phone calls and/or meetings, and perform other research as needed, to gather background for the planning of stories and article series.
- Cultivate sources, in the mold of a beat reporter.
- Occasional travel for reporting assignments.
- Research, fact-check, and review articles prior to publication.
- Write, edit and post stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress).
- Layout and format stories in WordPress.
- Source and/or produce visual content including photos, videos, charts, and maps.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION (10% of time)
- Report to Mongabay India’s Programme Manager and Managing Editor on progress toward meeting reporting objectives.
- Collect data on Mongabay India stories to demonstrate the wider impacts of published reporting for use in grant reports.
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone and text.
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Three or more years of experience and demonstrated talent in journalism/writing is desirable.
- Professional experience within Indian media outlets is preferred.
- Exceptional fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi.
- Knowledge of the clean energy industry, and overall knowledge of environmental issues in India.
- Familiarity with best practice of content use on the Internet (e.g. respecting copyright, responding to “take down” requests).
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required.
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, social media (Twitter and Facebook), and project management software (Asana).
- Must be based in India, preferably with citizenship, permanent residency, or a long term visa.
The bilingual clean energy reporting desk is the first of its kind for Mongabay India. The staff writer position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts on clean energy and climate change in India. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- demonstrates talent in writing and good editorial judgment;
- functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- contributes to the team effort by following through on tasks and delivering results;
- possess a working understanding of the scientific method and its application in environmental science;
- demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in India. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. Please submit a pay range when applying.
We are no longer accepting applications. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay also provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employment Handbook.