Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites averages roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
In January 2018, Mongabay India was launched to reach an Indian audience with information about the Produced by a team of journalists dedicated to evidence-driven objective journalism. Mongabay India’s primary topics of news coverage are forests, wildlife, oceans, and the conservation sector. With a goal to examine India’s development through the prism of environment and conservation, Mongabay India organizes special reporting projects to dive deep into specific themes.
WHAT DOES THE VIDEO PRODUCTION COORDINATOR DO?
Working in collaboration with the Mongabay India editorial team, the video production coordinator will help the organization scale up its ability to produce multimedia inspired by conservation and environmental science. This person will create original content sourced from a network of videographers, experts, and organizations to communicate news and information about India’s environmental issues, especially the clean energy sector.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Video ideation, production (scripting, editing), and distribution (40% of time)
- Work with Digital editors to research and source video footage primarily from stock footage and archival libraries, but also from field producers.
- Write scripts and edit footage into videos for social media.
- Support posting on Mongabay’s video and social media channel including drafting required metadata;
Coordinating with contributors, Mongabay editors, and third parties (40% of time)
- Organise, record, and promote webinars and online events, as directed by Mongabay India’s Programme Manager and Managing Editor.
- Work with the digital content editor to establish project deliverables, schedules, and deadlines for multimedia content including videos, photo features and infographics.
- Track delivery of visual assets to and from third parties.
- Support the digital editor with the logistics of video assignments.
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
Organizing visual assets (videos, photos, animations, etc) in a content database and documenting footage rights (10% of time)
- Organize files including video clips, visual assets, and templates by creating and/or maintaining a content database;
- Manage rights clearance between Mongabay and third parties;
- Assist in uploading and embedding content on WordPress.
Refining the editorial processes and keeping existing projects on track. Building new strategies with the digital editors (10% of time)
- Report to Mongabay India’s Programme Manager and Managing Editor on progress toward meeting reporting objectives.
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline.
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports.
- Interpret and adapt to collected viewership data across various platforms.
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, Asana, Skype, phone, and text.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English; knowledge of written Hindi is an advantage.
- One to three years of video production experience, particularly with video editing.
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred.
- Advanced understanding of video production, workflow, and production management.
- Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required.
- Social media expertise, including social marketing.
- High level of expertise with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and YouTube.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, and Asana (or similar).
- Familiarity with online conferencing tools and organisation of online events.
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required.
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours.
- Must be based in India, preferably with citizenship, permanent residency, or a long-term visa.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay India’s reporting efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- scrutinizes facts in written content, visuals, and data;
- integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- fosters positive relationships with journalists, audiences, and partner media outlets;
- adjust output to suit Mongabay India’s formats and work according to feedback;
- demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in India. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time contractors. Please submit a pay range when applying.
We are no longer accepting applications. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay also provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employment Handbook.