Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE RESEARCHER DO WITH THE SOLUTIONS DESK?
The Researcher will work with Mongabay’s English-language newsroom to establish a research and verification capability for Mongabay’s Solutions Desk. This position will include building a worldwide database of reforestation projects, synthesizing findings on conservation effectiveness in scientific literature, identifying datasets for visualization, and supporting the publication of original reporting in Mongabay. The Researcher will primarily contribute to solutions reporting activities by aggregating information into research briefs, following up on research questions from editors and writers, and fact checking reporting materials pre-publication.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Research and verification activities (90% of time)
- Create research entries and moderate user generated submissions in Mongabay’s decision-support tools and databases, including reforestation.app and conservationsolutions.org;
- Produce research briefs on topics relevant to Mongabay’s solutions journalism projects;
- Work cooperatively with Mongabay editors and staff to integrate research into their stories;
- Aggregate and review relevant academic literature, project communications, data sources, etc. to generate story ideas and develop tools;
- Assist team members with research queries, which includes finding and cleaning datasets;
- Conduct interviews, phone calls and/or meetings, and perform other research as needed, to gather background for interpreting information and validating findings;
- Research, fact-check, and review articles prior to publication;
- Work with the Mongabay team to refine the newsroom’s understanding of the standards for solutions journalism and improve criteria for reporting.
Strategic planning & administration (10% of time)
- Report regularly to Mongabay’s Global Program Director on progress toward meeting research objectives;
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Collect data on impacts of articles including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Maintain an archive of files for all produced materials.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s solutions journalism and visual storytelling efforts. Due to our company culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful employees at Mongabay excel at working independently and producing consistent high-quality journalistic content by taking the initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, a Researcher with the Solutions Desk:
- demonstrates talent in research, analysis, and writing;
- utilizes ethical guidelines and editorial standards to inform their activities;
- functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- maintains a strong sense of professionalism and reliability;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets;
- adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- demonstrates personal integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, & REQUIREMENTS
The Researcher for Mongabay’s Solutions Desk should demonstrate the following qualifications and experience:
- Significant knowledge of environmental science, especially relevant to biodiversity and climate issues, an expertise in tropical forests is ideal;
- Excellent research skills, and the ability to discern the quality, veracity and credibility of information;
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Experience in data entry is required, experience moderating content submitted by an online community is ideal;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skill in English is required;
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred;
- Effective organizational skills and a systematic approach to knowledge management is ideal;
- Must be willing to commit to full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours;
- Must be responsive to the Mongabay team via email, Asana, and Zoom.
- Access to high-speed Internet is required;
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.