Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE ACCOUNTANT DO?
Mongabay is seeking an Accountant who is based in India. The Accountant working with the Financial Controller will help support the operation of Mongabay’s financial processes. This person will report directly to both the Financial Controller and Mongabay India Program Manager.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enter cash receipts
- Enter accounts payables bills
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Expense documentation processing
- Assist in electronic documentation, storage and retention
- Assist in special projects, as needed
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay.com headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone, and messaging platforms.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Professional degree in Accounting or Finance, with Payroll experience of 4-5 years is preferred;
- Knowledge of payroll processing and relevant systems;
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English is required;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge and familiarity of Intacct (or similar), Asana (or similar) and Microsoft Office (Excel/Word);
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required;
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting; and
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hrs per week) and available during regular business hours.
This position will play a critical role in supporting Mongabay’s day to day financial operations. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Demonstrates talent in payroll process and attention to details;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
The work of our organization changes as we continuously seek to have greater impact. All of our team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short and long-term shifts in their job duties. As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in India. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.