Mongabay regularly offers opportunities for journalists, students, and nature enthusiasts to be involved with our efforts to raise awareness and report on environmental issues.
OPPORTUNITIES EMAIL LIST
Be sure to sign up for our Special Reporting Projects email list. We will send out email announcements every time a new reporting opportunity opens.
Mongabay Latam is hiring for a contributing editor in Peru or Colombia.
Contributing Editor (in Spanish)
Please sign up for our Special Reporting Projects email list to receive an email each time a new opportunity opens.
Mongabay Special Reporting Projects are opportunities that provides opportunities for journalists around the world to report on key conservation stories. Current opportunities include:
- Indigenous Peoples and Conservation – announced 15-March-2018
- Global Agroforestry – announced 4-Aug-2017
- Amazon Infrastructure – announced 03-May-2017
- Asian Rhinos – announced 20-Sep-2016
- Infrastructure expansion in Indonesia, Malaysia and Papua New Guinea – announced 20-Sep-2016
- Indonesian Coal – announced 12-July-2016
- Global Forests – announced 20-May-2016
- Fisheries in Indonesia – announced 28-Mar-2015
- Palm Oil – announced 4-Mar-2015
Other opportunities will be announced here.
Please follow instructions on the respective program pages. Mongabay does not currently commission unsolicited pitches outside these specific topic areas.
Mongabay.org offers a six-month internship program which primarily involves writing environmental news stories for our affiliated news site – Mongabay.com.
We can only pay for accepted submissions in the above categories. If you are still interested in publishing your piece on Mongabay, please review our submission guidelines.
PREVIOUS REPORTING OPPORTUNITIES[no longer open]
- Conservation effectiveness in Madagascar – announced 09-Feb-2017
- Global Environmental Impacts of U.S. policy – announced 03-May-2017
- Cattle and Central American Forests – announced 09-Jan-2017
- Asia’s Oceans – announced 31-Jul-2017
- Mekong Dams – announced 20-Sep-2016
- Great Ape Crisis – announced 19-Sep-2016
- Almost Famous Asian Animals – 11-May-2016
- Endangered Environmentalists – 18-Feb-2016
- Industry & People – 18-Feb-2016
- Great Apes & Industrial Agriculture – announced 07-Jan-2016
- Evolving Conservation – 14-Sept-2015
- Illegal Wildlife Trade in Latin America – June 15th – 2015
- Almost Famous (Unknown Species Conservation) – May-2015
- Amazon Infrastructure – announced 28-May-2015
- Government Crackdowns on Civil Environmental Groups – Nov 2014
- Latin American Big Industry, Climate Change, and Biodiversity Conservation – Sept 2014
- Food Waste & Spoilage in Sub-Saharan Africa Sub-Saharan Africa – Jul 2014
- The Social & Environmental Impacts of Foreign Development Finance in the Western Amazon – Jul 2014
- The Brazilian Development Bank & The Amazon – May 2014
- Great Apes and Extractive Industries – Mar 2014
- Amazonian Protected Areas: Benefits for People – Feb 2014
- Community forestry as a climate change solution – Dec 2013
- Cleaning up commodity supply chains – Dec 2013
- Is there demand for sustainable fisheries’ products in China? – Dec 2013
- The State of Marine Fisheries in Indonesia – Sept 2013
- Innovation in Tropical Biodiversity Conservation – Jul 2013