Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE CONTENT AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR DO?
The Content and Outreach Coordinator plays a pivotal role in ensuring that Mongabay Africa’s website content is up to date, that outreach plans are executed seamlessly, and that social media is managed effectively to increase awareness and engagement with the work and mission of Mongabay Africa. The ideal candidate should be fluent in French and English, able to adapt Mongabay’s global style guide to suit the African context and work under the supervision of the Program Manager for Africa. Applicants with knowledge and experience in environmental issues and forest conservation will have an edge.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Editorial Support (50% of time)
- Support and work cooperatively with Mongabay editors and writers to organize the pre-publication of articles consistently of high quality;
- Research and source rights-cleared images and write captions in a clear and engaging style that appeals to general interest audiences;
- Copy edit and fact-check articles pre-publication;
- Format and publish stories via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress) and analyze performance metrics on Mongabay’s website; and
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline.
Social media management and outreach (25%)
- Manage Mongabay Africa’s outreach channels including social media accounts and newsletters;
- Conceive of and create social media content in line with editorial priorities;
- Distribute news content across social media platforms to foster engagement with strategic audiences;
- Execute outreach plans to target audiences and increase awareness of news produced Mongabay Africa;
- Identify and build relationships with strategic partners to maximize outreach opportunities and to ensure Mongabay’s journalism resonates with the target audience.
Collaboration and Coordination (15%)
- Work closely with internal Mongabay teams, to align digital outreach efforts with Mongabay’s business development and marketing teams;
- Collect data on impacts of stories, including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Ensure consistent messaging and a cohesive digital presence.
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
Impact Harvesting and Reporting (10%)
- Work in collaboration with Mongabay’s marketing and program staff to monitor and analyze the effectiveness of outreach initiatives, website performance, and social media engagement;
- Provide data-driven recommendations for continuous improvement and growth.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- At least two years of professional experience in journalism and/or content marketing is preferred or a relevant bachelor’s degree;
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English and French is required;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Expertise in managing Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram accounts;
- Basic image editing and processing skills;
- A keen eye for selecting photos that engage readers;
- Knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues is essential;
- Experience using a content management system (such as WordPress), is preferred;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook) and project management software;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of content including formatting of articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML;
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone, and text.
- Willing to learn editing skills and assist editorial staff;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required; and
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours;
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Demonstrates a talent for journalism;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets and;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.