Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
WHAT DOES THE NEWSWIRE EDITOR DO?
The full-time Newswire Editor will be responsible for the daily production of quick turnaround news briefs, breaking news summaries, and rundowns of Mongabay’s publications by overseeing a team of reporters who specialize in producing short-form news content. This new position is Mongabay’s first step towards the creation and launch of a short-form news product intended for non-technical audiences. This editor will develop and produce short-from content working closely with colleagues from across Mongabay’s newsroom to discuss story ideas and priority topics. The Newswire Editor will help establish Mongabay’s editorial standards for short-form reporting including the definition of publishing formats, sourcing requirements, and verification methods, amongst others. This role will supervise a team of reporters, write content, manage assignments, edit and adapt articles for different formats and channels, and ensure adherence to grant guidelines and reporting expectations. This person should have strong analytical skills and the ability to discern what articles are important and of interest to a more general audience. Knowledge and familiarity with environmental issues is a strong positive.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
WRITING, REPORTING, EDITING, PUBLISHING (90% of time)
- Write, assign, edit and publish English news articles (500 words or less) on topics related to the environment and conservation.
- Work cooperatively with other Mongabay staff to review story ideas and define coverage priorities;
- Support the recruitment and hiring of a team of reporters capable of writing on a variety of topics and locations credibly;
- Aggregate breaking news from third-party sources;
- Generate story ideas and assess story proposals from reporters;
- Oversee reporting assignments to establish publishing schedules and maintain deadlines;
- Conduct interviews, phone calls and/or meetings, and perform other research as needed, to publish news articles;
- Research, fact-check, and review articles prior to publication;
- Source and/or produce visual content including photos, videos, charts, and maps, as needed, for each article produced;
- Format articles via Mongabay’s content management system (WordPress);
- Adapt articles for distribution across multiple channels (i.e social, email, messaging apps);
- Develop and manage ongoing editorial and co-publishing partnerships between Mongabay and other journalism media outlets;
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION (10% of time)
- Report regularly to Mongabay’s Global Program Director on progress toward meeting reporting objectives;
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Supervise a team of writers working on Mongabay’s short-form news product, including editorial oversight of reporting activities, job performance evaluation, and approval of personal leave and expenses;
- Organize and facilitate regular editorial meetings and conversations with this team of reporters and with other Mongabay’s regional bureaus, global desks, and editorial support departments;
- Collect data on impacts of articles including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, Asana, Zoom, phone, and messaging platforms.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Five or more years of experience working in journalism / editorial / writing required;
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English is required;
- Knowledge and familiarity with conservation and environmental issues is essential;
- Professional journalism experience working in a quick turnaround, high production volume role;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated editorial ability to work with a variety of content including formatting of feature articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, social media (Instagram, Facebook, YouTube), and project management software;
- Experience adapting and customizing different content management systems;
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required;
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role and available during regular business hours;
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts for a more general audience. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Is required to demonstrate talent in writing and editing;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Considers risks carefully and takes actions to mitigate them;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets and;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 11 holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.